Thoughts for Thursday

I thought I'd join in on the theme that seems to be going on out there for Thursdays.

Here goes :)

So every week I try to be organized and plan ahead. I try to go grocery shopping either on Saturday or Sunday because it's easier than going during the week for me because I work full time. With all of the good intentions I have for dinners for the week I some how always manage to fall short. For instance this weekend I knew I would need to have 3 dinners for Tues-Thur (John has class on Monday night so I don't cook. Friday we have a date.) How hard could that be? On Mon night I made American Chop Suey for Tuesday night. Then on Tuesday night I took out chicken tenders to thaw and marinate for Wednesday night. Easy. Piece of cake. But today I'm at a loss. Now I know there is stuff in the freezer however without fail, I always forget to take it out! I did good with the chicken tenders earlier in the week but about once a week is all I seem to handle with the freezer. I know that by the time me and John get home tonight we'll be getting takeout from the pizza shop. It's a never ending battle I have with the freezer. Stuff goes in but never comes out! It's awful. And it makes me crazy! There have been times that I've known I've had a certain piece of meat in the freezer but didn't have the patience to thaw it out so I've gone out and bought a fresh package..............retarded and wasteful! That's what it is. So I seemed to have rambled on a bit and strayed but my questions for all of you are:

Are you organized with your dinner preparations for the week? Do you try to plan ahead? One trip to the grocery store or multiples throughout the week? AND are you a freezer pack rat like myself?

Amy  – (September 27, 2007 at 10:47 AM)  

Got you covered for dinner tonight. I just made sauce and meatballs, and sausages. You can take it to go or stay. Let me know.

Nicole  – (September 27, 2007 at 3:16 PM)  

I'm HORRIBLE at planning meals. I hate to grocery shop, and I really don't like cooking. We eat the same meals all the time. I rarely plan ahead, and even though we'll have a freezer full of meat, we always run up to the store to pick up stuff for dinner.

Ugh. I wish I had $$ to have a cook and a maid and a nanny... HAHA!

jenny  – (September 27, 2007 at 8:04 PM)  

we don't 'plan' our meals, but when we go to the grocery store, we make sure that we buy 'meals'. get all the ingredients for certain meals then you know you have everything. i make sure to pick up a few 'quick' things like pizza, fish sticks (kid loves them) or eeek, hamburger helper. i have to give my husband a lot of credit, he does his share of cooking!

as for the freezer situation, thawing the meat doesn't take long if you stick it on defrost in the microwave...less than 10 minutes for most things. or even stick it in a bowl (or sink) of hot water. just a thought...do it right when you get home and by the time you get ready to make dinner, it's done!

good luck!

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs}  – (September 28, 2007 at 3:55 AM)  

I really need to get better about making meals. I don't mind the grocery shopping and actually get excited about trying new meals and excited about thinking that maybe I can actually plan our meals, but thats as far as it goes. I don't plan, I don't like cooking. I guess I just like thinking about. And then, there it sits, in the freezer. Why is that??? We even resort to saying that theres nothing to eat. Well there is, but it takes time to prepare it and cook it. Its just easier going out or calling food in. Its just so frustrating, because I want to teach Lukas good eating habits and let him have good memories about home cooked meals. I need to make that my goal, but I don't know where to start or even to get the boost to get started on it.

Kim  – (September 28, 2007 at 8:57 AM)  

I used to be really good about meal planning - I'd plan out meals for each night, shop on Sunday, and it was SO nice to not have to worry about it after getting home from the office. Since having a baby I've gotten out of the routine, but getting back on it is one of my priorities right now! It will be easier starting next week because things finally settle down for us after summer and fall baseball season. Meal planning saves us a TON of money. I'm the same as you with the freezer though, sometimes - I've definitely gone to the store on the way home and picked up some chicken or ground beef even though I know we have some frozen! Naughty, naughty. :)

Zoe  – (September 28, 2007 at 9:50 AM)  

I know home made meals are better for the kids ect ect. But I work all day and when I get home the last thing I'm doing is cooking. We usually have quick and easy or go out. We depend on grandma for homecooked meals on the weekend. Yeah I know I'm a loser.

Anonymous –   – (September 29, 2007 at 9:21 AM)  

I try not to take the kids out so much. I have a deep freezer in my mud room, and it seems like that thing could be stuffed full of everything and anything, and i still dont have "anything" to cook. or I will get to the point where i wont go shopping for my meat and veggie for a week so I can "clean" out my freezer.

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP