Thoughts for Thursday

So I'm home sick today. And I feel really guilty about being home. I have a cold. That is it. Just a yucky, stuffy, achy head. But I feel lousy. What makes me feel even more guilty is that I left work early on Tuesday because I had an awful migraine. So basically I've missed two days this week. I get 4 hours of sick leave every pay period. I used all of it when I was on maternity leave and have been slowly building it back up.
I feel as though being out of work "sick" is looked down on though. Not only by managers but by coworkers. I feel like I'm a wimp if I don't suck it up and just go in. But isn't that what it's there for? Shouldn't you stay home if you feel lousy and not spread your germs? I feel like so many people hold back and don't use it. Some people's sick leave goes towards retirement if they don't use it. (if they stay at the same job for gazillions of years which is the case with lots of Federal employees!) Not the case for me. I'm under the new retirement system for Federal employees. If I don't use it, I lose it.

What are your thoughts on using a sick day? What do you consider a legitimate sick day? How does your management look at you for taking a sick day? Do you feel guilty when calling in sick for not feeling well?

Happy Days  – (November 1, 2007 at 11:25 AM)  

I am with you! Why spread your germs!!! But then again we are in the same family!!!

jenny  – (November 1, 2007 at 11:26 AM)  

if you are sick (headache, cold, flu, whatever) stay home! that IS why we have sick and people at work should thank those who stay home and don't spread the germs. cripe - everyone gets sick and i hate if people look down on that. if someone is abusing it, that's different, but if you are sick - use it and don't feel bad about it.

in my workplace (government) we can use our sick time to stay at home with our sick children as well, which has meant a lot to me. or if he has a doctor's appointment - i can use that time for those things as well.

i used all of my sick time and some vacation time when i had tucker, but have slowly been building it back up. that is the hard part. it will benefit me after i retire or leave this place, but right now, i need it.

get better soon!

Zoe  – (November 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM)  

sick time is for...well whatever you need it for. your sick? please keep your germs at home. kids sick? please stay home so you don't spend all day on the phone with them. just plain bitchy and wanna go to target? stay home so we don't have to put up with your ass!

Anonymous –   – (November 1, 2007 at 5:13 PM)  

I actually very rarely get sick. (knock on wood) But when I do, I always feel guilty and like people are going to think that I am faking it so I usually end up going to work and spreading the germs.

I hope that you get feeling better!

Anonymous –   – (November 1, 2007 at 8:23 PM)  

OH, this is SUCH a sore subject with me... where i work we don't get actual sick days, it's just lumped in with our vacation into 'paid time off' and so to me, i feel like i never want to stay home when i'm sick... because that is my VACATION... you know? i wish we got sick days... even one or two a year would be helpful. and yes, i definitely believe in staying home when you're sick. you're not going to to a as good of a job anyway, so why not try to get well faster and get back to 100%?

Amy  – (November 1, 2007 at 9:49 PM)  

i think that's one of the things thats soooo wrong in this country. if you are truly sick, you should stay home. to be productive and beneficial to your employer you need to take care of yourself. in addition, why make your coworkers sick? things need to change in our professional culture, big time! hope you had a good "sick" day.

Nicole  – (November 2, 2007 at 8:08 AM)  

I only work part time at teh school, and I don't get sick days. If I miss a day, I can make it up another day that week (I only work 4 days a week). I usually only use a sick day if I'm throwing up or have a migraine, or if Porter is too sick to send to the sitter or a family members house. My hubby on the other hand... drives me nuts. He'll use a sick day just because he's got a cold or a sore throat, or even if he just wants a day off. He says "I use it or lose it, its there to use." However, then he ends up with half a year left and only one sick day left. DUH!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP