John David

I posted a picture and a little story about this guy two posts ago. He's my nephew and he's the oldest. Him and I have a bit of a history. It's hard to explain but I practically grew up with him for a couple of years. Some times his Mom has to remind him that our relationship is not on the same level as brother/sister though. Some times he gets a little smart with me and she'll have to remind him of this and that I am his aunt, an elder, and he needs to treat me as such. But he's a GOOD kid. Just as all of my nephews and niece are.
Some times I forget that he's only 7 and a half. Probably because he seems like he's been around forever. He gets the jokes now. He laughs when it's appropriate. And he throws his two cents in a lot now. But just when you think he's older, he'll do something to remind you that he's still little. And it totally melts my heart.
Today I picked him up from school. When he came out we started walking and I touched his hand to guide him. I wasn't grabbing it to hold it, only to guide him. I wouldn't want to purposely hold his hand at school in fear that I would embarrass him, you know, because he's getting older. But today, he grabbed mine. And he held it tight throughout the entire walk across the school yard, the street and to the car. He probably didn't even realize that he was holding my hand because he was talking a mile a minute. But I realized, and I held on to every moment of it because some day, there will be a last time he holds my hand and I won't know it's the last :)
Thanks for making my day John :)

Maria  – (December 6, 2007 at 10:48 PM)  

Aww. That's so sweet. My son does the same thing sometimes. At home he loves me to death, kisses and hugs me and tells me he loves me. When I walk him to school he says, "Don't kiss me now. You'll embarrass me." OK. I understand. Sometimes he forgets, though, because his feelings just take over. I love it!

Happy Days  – (December 7, 2007 at 9:23 AM)  

ohhhh Mary! You just did it! I am sitting here like a blubbering idiot. That is sooooo sweet!! Why does time have to go by so fast?!!!

Amy  – (December 7, 2007 at 9:54 AM)  

mary what are you trying to do to me??? don't you know that i am an emotional basket-casae?!?! seriously, thanks for keeping the memories. i love this! =)

Casdok  – (December 7, 2007 at 1:05 PM)  

That was so cute! And you are right, they do grow up fast, so im sure you will make the most of it.

Trixie Twatwaffle  – (December 9, 2007 at 10:06 AM)  

I LOVE that story.

I think about that stuff when I think about my 22 year old nephew. I'm now "Margaret" or "Aunt Margaret" instead of "Auntie".

Sniff...now I look at my 4 year old nephew and it pains me to know he won't want to hold my hand or give me giant hugs and kisses one day...

Sniff...sniff...sniff.

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP