Out of left field..............

Yeah, this post is kind of out of the blue. But it is something that has been with me since the 4th grade. THE CHICKS DIED AT MY HOUSE. THEY WERE NEVER BROUGHT BACK TO THE FARM! There I said it. I feel a little bit better. If anyone out there reading this was in my class in the 4th grade, I'm sorry we had to lie to you. But we had to because I feared for my life. Do you know how hard it was to show up at school that Monday morning empty handed? No you don't! Do you know what it was like to be threatened by all the boys in the class that if you didn't show up on Monday morning with out those chicks.......................? No you don't.

Honestly, I really don't need therapy. I'm over it now but I fear that there are still a few former classmates out there that don't know the truth. For them, I feel sorry.

So yeah, if you hadn't caught on by now, here's the deal. We hatched chickens in an incubator in the 4th grade. Over one weekend I got to be bring the chicks home to care for them. Fast forward. Sunday morning................one chick dead. One chick still alive. Sunday morning after church.............two chicks dead. Zero chicks alive. What do you get from that? One hysterical 4th grader and a mother frantically thumbing the white pages trying to find the teachers phone number. Luckily, after 4 attempts the mother finds the correct *Smith. Teacher, as quick thinking as she was, told my mother that she would meet me at school Monday morning early before any of the other kids got there and that every thing would be okay. She promised that I wasn't going to die. It was a very very bad Sunday for that 4th grader. So many tears. But she made it. And she went to school early that Monday to meet the teacher. And the teacher told her that for this one time, it was okay to tell a lie. The lie was that the chicks were sick and we brought them back to the farm on Saturday. End of story. That was it. I lived to see Tuesday. And Wednesday. And all the way until today.

For those of you out there that still think the chicks are at the farm...............I really am sorry that I loved them and played with them and cuddled them.................to death! And I'm sorry I lied.

kim-d  – (February 28, 2008 at 10:42 AM)  

Why, Mary--I'll bet you feel much better now that you've gotten that horrible secret out into the open! I'd like to say HAHA and let that be it, but I can tell that your little 4th grade self was really traumatized by the chicks checking out, so I decided not to make light of it. At least not right after the first sentence of this comment. HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I think when anybody says any animal went "back to the farm" that pretty much always means that the animal really "bought the farm." Oopsies. I think that mostly your 4th grade classmates SHOULD be over it by now, but you might want to make sure there is a fresh lamp in your motion detector light outside your house, just in case.

BWAHAHAHA! Have a good day, Mary!

Mary  – (February 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM)  

Kim, the witness protection program has been good to me. I'm in another town now, under a new last name. I think I'm safe :)

Janice {Run Far}  – (February 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM)  

LOL- That is funny

My sister and her hubby have chikens, well some stopped laying eggs so my BIL took it killed it, but of course they told the kids they gave it to some other family that has chickens, and then they had one that ended up being a rooster, which they did not want, so they had to do the same thing. My hubby wants chickens, I say no way, cause I know I would have to take care of them.

Happy Days  – (February 28, 2008 at 4:02 PM)  

Oh Mary!!!! I remember that very day! Oh the trama! LOL! You must feel better now!

girlymom  – (February 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM)  

I'm sorry it was such a sad moment in your life, but I am laughing hystarically at you because of it! Bravo to you for such an honest and truthful post...those poor chicks! I feel sorry for your mom!

just jamie  – (February 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM)  

Wait, does that mean that my dog Murphy isn't really at "The Farm?" What?

BTW What a great teacher.

Trixie Twatwaffle  – (February 28, 2008 at 8:43 PM)  

What??? The chickens aren't at the farm??? I can't believe it. Come on.... next thing you will say is probably confirm something like the Tooth Fairy isn't real.

Amy  – (February 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM)  

is this per your therapist? did she suggest coming clean? lol

Kellan  – (February 28, 2008 at 9:58 PM)  

Oh - this sad dead chick story made me laugh like a crazy woman! I'm sorry - I know you were trying to come clean - repent and all - but ... it is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard - being that it is all these years later.

Take care and thanks for the laugh! Kellan

Robyn  – (February 28, 2008 at 10:11 PM)  

Cuddled to death, that's a new one. Too funny, but my parents gave away my dog while I was a birthday party and thought I wouldn't notice. At least you had a story.

Maria  – (February 28, 2008 at 10:31 PM)  

Aw Mary! I feel so sorry for you! Isn't it amazing how some things we can't just forget? Your lucky you had such an understanding teacher. My 4th grade teacher hated me.

kim-d  – (February 29, 2008 at 7:19 AM)  

How are you doing today, Mary? I've been a little concerned because I know sometimes when we deal with our past, it can take a few days to move forward from our past sorrows...BWAHAHAHA! If that's the case, just THINK of how Amy JEAN Kelly is feeling today, after Lisa's picture post :)!!! All of this? IS WHY I AM TRAUMATIZED OVER NOT HAVING A SISTER! How fun...

jessica  – (February 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM)  

i have heard of cuddle to death!! and may also be guilty... that must have been a huge trauma for a nine or ten year old. may your shoulders be lighter! and, thanks for visiting my blog. happy friday! my blog

Lizzy in the Burbs  – (February 29, 2008 at 10:13 AM)  

Hi Mary!

So, do you have a whole list, kind of like Earl, that you are checking off one by one? :-) Seriously, I'm sure it must have been awfully traumatic for you! Your teacher handled that very well! I can't believe you or your sisters never told anyone, that would have been a hard secret to keep. You girls are good!

Hey, if you get a minute, stop by my blog, I tagged you for a meme. It's an easy one! (if you feel like it)

Have a great weekend!

Lizzy

Misty  – (February 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM)  

Poor little chicky-poos. Poor you. (wink)

Wonderful World of Weiners  – (February 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM)  

You chick murderer!! People like you should be locked up!!

(hee hee)

Angelina is your WHOLE list? WOW - I'm impressed!

Hallie :)

April  – (February 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM)  

I'm so glad the teacher was helpful!! Luckily, we haven't had anything like this yet. I'm hoping we never do, because those chicks wouldn't have lasted in our home through Saturday!

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

Michelle Leigh  – (February 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM)  

Oh you poor thing. How traumatic! Have you ever read Of Mice and Men? That's what I visualized at the end of your post! He He!

Sarabeth  – (February 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM)  

It's out now. Good for you.

Blog hopping--HP

DIXIECHICK  – (March 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM)  

Wow! How traumatizing...hopefully, now that it is all out in the open...you can move forward and not fear baby chicks ever again. Great post.

Blog hopping
Dixiechick

Anonymous –   – (March 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM)  

It's good to get things out! :-)

Happy Friday! Blog Hoppin'!
~"Margarita Mom"

Zoe  – (March 1, 2008 at 11:28 AM)  

dear god girl! let it go!!!! LMAO

Tara R.  – (March 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM)  

What a terrible burden you've been carrying around with you all these years. Let it go!

blog hopping - etcetera

Unknown  – (March 2, 2008 at 2:21 AM)  

Fascinating confession! I remember hatching chicks also back in grade school, but we didn't get to actually bring them home! How cool is that?!

Poor you, living with that secret for so long! Nonetheless, I am giggling :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! Visit soon!

kim-d  – (March 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM)  

I'm just a little concerned that we haven't heard from you since this confession. I have heard some scuttlebutt about that Witness Protection Program being not quite protective enough...please, say it isn't so!

How is T-Man feeling? Hope he's all better...

Ashley  – (March 3, 2008 at 12:35 AM)  

I'm new here, but wanted to say hello!

Sorry about the chicks...from 4th grade... :)

Amber  – (March 3, 2008 at 3:04 AM)  

Thank you for your honesty and paving the way for me to be able to say this...I accidentally stepped on a baby bird once, it died...my fat foot killed it...sometimes, when I am depressed and think about the bird, I cry...but now, I feel lighter, freer...thank you.

Also, while it is a sad story for the chicks...it made me giggle...I hope that is okay.

kim-d  – (March 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM)  

Hey Mary...just wanted to say have a good Monday, and I'm hoping poor Norm survived the weekend with T-Man :)!!! Prayers for all...lots of them!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP