A knock at my door.............

When I pull in the driveway after work and get out of my car, I am usually carrying my work bag, my pocketbook, Thomas' bag, my coffee mug and my keys. I pull right up to my steps, run in, drop everything and immediately take the Norminator out. It takes all of about, well, less than a minute. Thomas hangs tight until Norm is done doing his thing and then I bring him in the house. (Don't slam me for leaving my kid in the car for I never lose sight of him during this.) This has all just become routine. However tonight Einstein was home early so I did not need to take Norm out.

An hour later at 6:15 there's a knock at my door. I immediately grab Norman the attack dog. (Let him think this. I don't want to crush his ego!) We weren't expecting anyone so I was curious as to who it could be. I open the door and immediately call to Einstein to come out there. I did not recognize the man on the other side of the storm door. He starts talking although I'm not hearing what he is saying. His speech was slow and I was getting nervous. I said "huh?" to him while holding on to the door knob. He points to my driveway and repeats himself. "There's a purse in your drive way. Did you drop your purse?" With Einstein behind me and the attack dog in my arms, I open up the storm door and look. There in my driveway partly under my car is my pocketbook. I must have dropped it while carrying everything mentioned above and trying to bring Thomas in the house at the same time. This man was walking down the street with another man and they noticed it. They did not touch it but simply came to my door to tell me.

I immediately went outside and picked it up and thanked him repeatedly. We live on a very busy street, especially during rush hour. Anyone could have picked it up and been on their merry way before I would have even noticed. I went back in the house and starting feeling guilty for being so suspicious and leery of this man when I opened the door. He looked a little dirty and he talked a little funny however here he was, doing something nice. I felt bad that I judged him I like I did. I know you can't trust anyone and that I did do the right thing by being cautious. I just wish that in this world, we don't always have to think the worst. There are still some good people out there :)

And...........because I was tagged my Jamie and Jenny for the "Show me what's in your purse" meme, I thought this was the most fitting time!

KG  – (April 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM)  

My mom left her purse in a NYC cab one time. We were on our way to a Broadway show and then we didn't go because she spent the whole evening cancelling credit cards. Well, a few days later, the cabbie (who spoke almost no English) called her after finding her business card. He sent back her purse WITH all of her money. He wouldn't even take any cash as a reward. Sometimes people ARE good!

Robyn  – (April 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM)  

How did you let a Coach bag fall under your car girl? I'm glad you got it back intact. We have the same cell, though mine works for @!@#$. Don't let Thomas eat it. Maggie ate mine and it was shot and my replacement doesn't pick up a signal.

jenny  – (April 3, 2008 at 11:18 PM)  

is that 5 gum that i see? sweet.

i'm glad that someone was nice enough to let you know about it! i think if someone i didn't know came to my door for no reason i would be a little worried too - glad it was for something good!

Happy Days  – (April 4, 2008 at 8:07 AM)  

glad that worked out for you! I could never post a picture of my purse! Well I could but I would have to clean it out first!

Anonymous –   – (April 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM)  

So glad you found it.

As for the judging -- I've done the same thing and wanted to kick myself later.

Can't even count the number of times I've lost my wallet, debit card, etc. *sigh*

Lizzy in the Burbs  – (April 4, 2008 at 11:41 AM)  

It does restore your faith in mankind sometimes doesn't it? I try not to be so leary of strangers, too, but nowadays it's hard. Unfortunately, there are alot of weirdos out there, but hopefully more nice people like that guy! Glad you got your purse back, but may I say, it's just too neat for someone with a toddler and doesn't have enough "stuff" inside! :o) (or, maybe I'M a slob??) HA!

Lizzy

kim-d  – (April 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM)  

Okay, again, kim-d with the inappropriate comment, but all I kept thinking through the whole post was...better the purse Mary left under the car, rather than Thomas! What is wrong with my head sometimes? HA!

Seriously, I'm the same way...in fact, I probably wouldn't have even answered the door! And it's sad that it has to be like that.

Very nice and neat little purse, by the way. The only resemblance to mine is the 6 cents. That's about how much "cash" I have, too :)!

Denise H.  – (April 4, 2008 at 1:43 PM)  

Thanks for Sharing! I like stories like this that show you that YES, there really are good people out there!

just jamie  – (April 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM)  

At least you didn't leave Thomas in the driveway. (Okay, not funny.)

The kindness of strangers has a way of surprising us. Don't feel guilty for taking precautions.

Thanks for playing along.

Laski  – (April 4, 2008 at 11:59 PM)  

PHEW! Gosh, you have a neat purse . . .

kimmy  – (April 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM)  

It is hard to trust a stranger when they are standing at your door. Luckily there are some honest people out there!

Kimmy

Jaime Cox  – (April 8, 2008 at 3:41 PM)  

Oooooh, luck you!
I thought this story was going in the direction that somebody called the police for leaving your child in the vehicle! haha... which, my friend recently informed me was illegal. Ugh... didn't I feel stupid:) ha....

Zoe  – (April 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM)  

that is all that is in your purse? that is amazing!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP