The shredder


It was around this time two years ago. I had just had my first (and only) ultrasound of Thomas. The date was June 13, 2006. Einstein and I had decided not to find out the sex of the baby. However, my Mother was dying to know! So I had the technician write it down on a piece of paper and put it in a sealed envelope. HUGE MISTAKE!

Einstein and I pretty much decided the baby was a boy. As soon as the technician left the room we looked at each other and both blurted out "boy." There were so many give aways..........a third leg, a "wow this baby is so cooperative," a "well I definitely know what this baby is." We were sure of it.

The plan with the envelope was to give it to my Mother. BUT she was on vacation with my father for TWO WEEKS. Do you know what it was like having that envelope on my kitchen island for that time? It was killing me! I tried to put it away. But then I'd go find it and play with it. Until one day I couldn't take it any more.

It was about a week after the ultrasound and I was losing it. So I went into our computer room pulled out the shredder and stuck that envelope in it. Relief................for about two seconds.

The next thing you know, I was sitting on the floor sifting through shreds of paper. I heard Einstein open the back door and quickly started cleaning up. But he caught me. I felt like the biggest whackadoo ever!
I found an "it" and a "y" from the same blue pen. Of course now, even more, I thought it was a boy. But then Einstein thought, well they could have written "It's a baby girl" and they "y" could have been from the "baby." We played out all the scenarios. I didn't tell anyone. I ended up waiting until another doctor's appointment at the end of Aug. and had them write it down again. I shared it with my Mom and then put it away.
We finally peeked at that one during the beginning of September. We didn't tell though. We kept it to ourselves until he arrived. Did we ruin the surprise for ourselves? I didn't feel that way. It was a surprise to have been pregnant. It was surprise to see what he looked like, how big he was, how much hair he had. Would I peek again................hmmmmm?
(And for the record NO. I am not pregnant!)

KG  – (June 24, 2008 at 12:24 PM)  

There is absolutely NO WAY I'd not find out the sex of the baby. I don't get it - I mean - weird baby showers in which people give out yellow and green blankets? No way. I want to know!

Leslie Collins  – (June 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM)  

The curiousity would have killed me. I would have been the one piecing paper shreds together, too. :)

Have a great day.

Denise H.  – (June 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM)  

HAHA! I wouldn't be able to keep from looking at the paper either.

jenny  – (June 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM)  

hahaha - great story. the paper would not have made it into a sealed envelope here! :)

Amy  – (June 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM)  

I can't believe you didn't even hint! Then again, I should have known you didn't pick out anything frilly and pink for the bedroom!

I am SO happy you decided in favor of keeping your blog - I was worried!

Janice {Run Far}  – (June 24, 2008 at 9:50 PM)  

Great post.. I am all about finding out what the sex is.

Robyn  – (June 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM)  

I had to know, had to. I nearly went insane after my 20 week one when she wouldn't show anything, thankfully I had to go back for another one. But J and I were sure it was a boy until she started describing the girly part. I didn't get any pictures either, I was a bit upset about that one.
Great Story.

Anonymous –   – (June 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM)  

That is too cute! Hubby wasn't able to go to the 'big' ultrasound for Cooper, so the tech wrote the gender down and sealed it in an envelope . . . the page reads: "It's a BOY because he has a penis!" and is proudly stored in his keepsake box.

We found out the gender with all our babies - we are WAY too anal, and you are right - seeing them for the first time and seeing how much they weighed, how much hair they had, etc. was more than enough surprize!

Julie  – (June 25, 2008 at 12:58 AM)  

I couldn't wait to find out who was in my belly. When I called my Mom to tell her she asked "Is it Emily or Derek?"....

I loved talking to Emily everyday.
Especially in the car,we had lots of long talks.

kimmy  – (June 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM)  

We did the same thing when I was pregant with my son.

It was our first anniversay and I was six weeks away from my due date. We had the doctor perform an ultrasound and then we found out (just the two of us) after we finished our anniversary dinner.

We didn't tell anyone either. It was a wonderful surprise!

Kimmy

kim-d  – (June 25, 2008 at 1:06 PM)  

ML-G, you had me so excited for a minute, there! I thought it was a new ultrasound!!! But I think it is so cute, the way you guys did it. I would have NEVER been able to NOT know; it would drive me crazy. I can't wait...well, never mind :)!

Ummm...what's this about Amy being glad you decided to keep your blog? Were you thinking of NOT keeping your blog? NOOOOOO! Say it isn't so; please, you can't do that, you just can't get rid of your blog, ever. I don't think I could take it, not talking to you. Okay? No getting rid of the blog. Okay? Say okay!

Alice  – (June 25, 2008 at 2:15 PM)  

I would have TOTALLY peeked. I'm impressed you were able to hold out as long as you did. :)

Michelle Leigh  – (June 25, 2008 at 5:11 PM)  

You totally had me fooled. I kept thinking you'd be telling us you are preggo!

I am way too impatient, I knew with all 3 what I was having!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings  – (June 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM)  

I wish I could have found out. It drove me nuts that I couldn't. They wouldn't do another ultrasound because they thought my insurance wouldn't pay for it and Jonathan was very uncooperative and had his back to the "camera" the whole time.

It was incredibly frustrating! I had no idea how to plan for 9 months. still, it was an awesome surprise to get on his birthday!

just jamie  – (June 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM)  

I LOVE this story, seriously, it could be a scene from a movie. Love you more for telling it.

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP