Hey you...yeah you! What's your name?

So I have this habit............I name people.

For instance, I'll use John.
I call him Einstein. But not to his face. He knows I call him this behind his back, but I never ever call him this to his face. I think my sister's actually named him Einstein and I kind of just took off with it. He's super smart and knows a lot about a lot of stuff. Hence the name "Einstein."

Then there's the guy that runs the beach near my sister's house. He always has ridiculously thick socks on. Picture wool socks on a 90 degree day. He runs in those bad boys. So we commonly refer to him as "Socks." In fact, I don't even know his real name. As far as I'm concerned his name is Socks and when I speak of Socks at my sister's House, they know who I'm talking about.
"The Alvinator" is another one. She was a very good friend of my Mom's and like a grandmother to me and my sisters. She was this itty bitty woman who had the most interesting life. She also use to fall A LOT. I'm talking the kind of falls that usually kill the elderly. No matter how bad her fall was though, she'd always bounce back. She had more than "9 lives." So I named her "The Alvinator" because her last name was Alvord and she was invincible. It stuck and the next thing I know everyone in my whole family called her this. I wonder if she ever knew this? Again, I never called her this to her face.
Then there's "Brillo Head." A man I work with. He is an awkward looking fellow with a weird grin. He's got a mop top of a head of hair and me and by coworkers call him "Brillo Head."

Oh and here's one more. My Mother use to work for a woman and her name was Mrs. Hofsepian. (not sure if I spelled it correctly but it sounds right.) Well for whatever reason I always referred to her as Mrs. Homosapian.

I just can't help it. I do this ALL the time!

Tell me, do any of you do this too?

Happy 4th of July :)

Alice  – (July 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM)  

I do it too! Sometimes it's names to describle them (like socks) and sometimes it is a "regular" name that I think suits them. :)

Janice {Run Far}  – (July 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM)  

Holy crap, that baby is so stinking cute-

kim-d  – (July 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM)  

OH YEAH! And I freely admit, most of the time it's not something I'd really want them to hear...BWAHAHAHA. I have ALWAYS assigned "nicknames" to people, just the same way as Alice said--sometimes descriptive, sometimes a "play" on a regular name. For instance, my cat Frank is often "Frankenstein" or "Frankendoodle" while Nancy is either "Fancy Nancy" or "NannyLouWho." You are, most often, ML-G. Alice is "Gaw-Jus." I can't help it. Don't even ASK about the one who was "12 Inches of Swingin' Death." BWAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous –   – (July 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM)  

Hubby and I do this a lot - and we too always know who the other person is talking about! We are also big on adding adjectives before peoples' names - ie., we used to work with a guy we called Angry Bill.

And I can't believe Thomas used to be that chubby! The rolls! He is such an adorable little boy. Hope you and yours have a wonderful 4th!

Misty  – (July 3, 2008 at 2:47 PM)  

LOOK at your baby..... Ah!!!!! He is so freakin cute.

And names..... I give names.... but they are a lot less nice.... mmmwwwaaaahahahaah.

kim-d  – (July 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM)  

Wait...that IS William Baby, right? In the picture? The first time I signed, I just assumed it was. I sort of pride myself on being able to keep all the kids straight and who belongs with which sister, even though you all post pix of each other's kids on your sites. So...William Baby, yes; Thomas Trouble, no. Right?

And you have a Very, Very Merry Fourth of July, Mary :)!

KG  – (July 3, 2008 at 10:36 PM)  

I do that all the time, except my names area lot . . . um . . . less diplomatic than yours.

Like Mrs. Kravitz across the hall because she's the nosiest neighbor EVER? Or Clouseau the awkward dude with the 'stache? Or Tuna King, the guy in my law school who obsessively talks about his time in the Coast Guard? Or Bobblehead, the guy with the really big head and emaciated body? I could go on and on . . .

Happy Days  – (July 3, 2008 at 10:42 PM)  

Mary,
We do this all the time. For instance. . . "Frenchie!!"
I can't beleive that picture of William Baby! I am so lucky that you and Amy take so many stinkin pictures of my kids. I get so giddy when I do finally see them. I am so glad that they exist. I know my kids are going to love it some day that there Aunties were the freaken paparazzi!!! I can not believe the rolls that he used to have! Where did they go? Oh now I am going to get all sad and happy at the same time! Thanks Mare!

Happy Days  – (July 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM)  

Oh my gosh, I just want to eat that picture!!!

Amy  – (July 3, 2008 at 11:10 PM)  

LMAO!!! How about GB or DB??? Then there's another guy in my neighborhood we call Banana Hammock!!! I'll fill you in.

kim-d  – (July 4, 2008 at 9:58 AM)  

FYI, ML-G and Amy JEAN Kelly...

I KNOW WHAT A BANANA HAMMOCK IS!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Have a happy and safe 4th :)!

Robyn  – (July 4, 2008 at 10:07 AM)  

Yep, I do it to. once J's son's mom came walking over with her manfriend, and He had a yellow baseball hat and yellow shirt on, from that point on he is always, "Hello Yellow."

Julie  – (July 5, 2008 at 9:31 PM)  

Yes,Yes,Yes
When my husband & I first moved into our condo 9yrs ago, we named all our neighbors. Now when we move we can name our new neighborhood.
LOL

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings  – (July 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM)  

Oh yes. I do this all the time. I have some names for my Hubby I can't say here..not because they are bad, just because he'd kill me. They do it a lot in my office. My hubby kept referring to someone named Garlic Bread (we work together) and come to find out he was talking about a girl I knew as "Jen." Then he kept calling a friend's wife "Gimpy" because she broke her foot and it kind of stuck. Poor woman. I wonder what her real name is.

kimmy  – (July 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM)  

Glad to hear I am not the only one!!!!

Kimmy

Anonymous –   – (July 8, 2008 at 9:57 PM)  

My husband and i do the exact same thing! I'm always worried that someone will find out our names for them...some of them are less than flattering.

Kim Airhart  – (July 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM)  

That was so funny. My friends and I do that too.

Michelle Leigh  – (July 10, 2008 at 9:53 AM)  

I definitely do it. My neighbor who happens to be about mid 40's likes to walk around in just his shorts in the summer. I call him Mr. Robinson. Obviously not to his face, but still, come on. Put a shirt on dude. I'm actually friends with him and his wife, but don't have the heart to tell him people don't do that in our neighborhood!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP