What's your code?

So I got this email the other day............randomly. I knew I would be getting something in the mail but didn't know I would be getting something in email as well.

It was kind of weird when I first saw it........."These results are reflective of your DNA typing....."

Here I am casually sitting on the couch on a Saturday night getting ready to watch a movie with Einstein and this pops up on my iphone.

DNA-A...., DNA-B....., DRB1.....

Internet, that's me! On paper! That's my code! "And those are numbers that could save someone else!" I don't really know what it all means.......but it's just felt weird to see it. I kind of felt like I was in a time warp or something, kind of like with robots. I can't really explain it.

A few months ago, during the Christmas shopping season, I noticed that a table was set up inside the mall where you could get swab tested to become a bone marrow donor. I walked by it a few times thinking nothing more other than noticing it was there. Then found out my mother had done it. Then one of my sisters. Then a friend told me about a friend of hers whose little boy was in need of a bone barrow. Then it all set in............"oh my goodness! What if one of my children ever needed this?" I know, my thoughts were very selfish. But, I'm already an organ donor. I have the heart on my license..........why not do this too? So I did. It took all of 15 minutes.

And I'm not posting this to be all "look at me, I'm a registered donor", it's more about the email I received. It was just so weird to see all of my codes on there.

So what's YOUR code?

For more information, check out www.crir.org

Wonderful World of Weiners  – (March 10, 2010 at 11:36 AM)  

Yahoozle on registering!! I have been registered to be bone marrow donor for ages. I just ASSUMED that once I registered, I would get the call ASAP to donate.

Nope. Guess it really is hard to match up donors with recipients.

But BOY AM I READY!!

Hallie :)

kim-d  – (March 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM)  

Awww...good job, Mare! My girlfriend's son needed a bone marrow transplant, and they had a really hard time finding a donor match. Thanks to Hallie, I'm an organ donor, and would be a bone marrow donor if it wasn't for the R.A. disqualifying me. I do, however, have some pretty awesome universal donor 0+ blood. :)

lisa  – (March 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM)  

Mary, I got the same email recently so I know exactly what you mean! At first I thought it was them saying that they needed me and my stomach started doing flips! I will be ready if they call for sure!

Michelle Leigh  – (March 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM)  

My husband did this a few months back too. I would like to, but not sure where to go to do it. Good for you. You are doing a wonderful thing Mary!

Anonymous –   – (March 10, 2010 at 3:11 PM)  

My card is downstairs in my wallet! I registered back when I was in college, and am proud to say that it is the one organization I have kept my information up-to-date with all these years.

You did an awesome thing!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP