Pedal Thomas, pedal!

You guys.....

I had one of those ear to ear grinning proud mama moments tonight.

We've been working on getting Thomas Trouble to ride a bike with training wheels since the snow melted.

It has been excruciatingly painful to watch him awkwardly try to pedal. I would actually cringe my whole body while watching, hoping and praying he'd get it.

We haven't been able to tell if he just doesn't have the coordination, strength or even interest. Up until this point, we've been lucky if we could get each foot to go forward.

Did I mention that we've even tried TWO new-to-us bikes? Yeah, we have. Same results.

Until tonight.

You guys, he did it. He pedaled all by himself. It was still painful to watch him get started and I do think it's a strength/coordination thing. But he did it. And I made a really big deal out of it.

I was proud.

But most importantly he was proud. He knew he did it.

We took him down the side street next to his house and he said "now I can ride my bike to go play with the kids!" and "can I ride this to school?"

It was just the right motivation he needed to night.

Internet, Thomas Trouble is growing up right before my very eyes.

Nobody told me what an oxymoron parenting is..........while I want him to pedal and I yelled "faster" to him tonight. Inside I'm wishing I could slow him down.

Kim Airhart  – (July 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM)  

That is HUGE!! Way to go Thomas!!

Robyn  – (July 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM)  

Yay for Thomas. I am trying to get Maggie to brake.

Anonymous –   – (July 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM)  

Go, Thomas! What an awesome accomplishment! We have been working on it with C.ooper all summer and it is definitely a coordination thing - he is so tall and gangly that he has a tough time putting it all together and pedaling hard and fast enough to keep upright. It goes so fast!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP