He's a winner at forgiveness

Internet, I had a very bad, not proud Mom moment last night.

I said something to Thomas that was downright mean and sliced him to the core.

I wanted to cry immediately after I said it. No I didn't swear at him and No I'm not going to tell you what I said.

To set the stage though, I will tell you that he was being extremely difficult at dinner. For those of you that don't know, Thomas is a horrible horrible eater. Most kids at least eat pasta, right? Not mine. There are only a handful of foods that he eats and it's challenging to get a little variety in.

Last night I made chicken tenders that 3 out of 4 of us gave the thumbs up.

The only thing I try to get Thomas to do is at least TRY things. If he has a nibble but doesn't like it, I will get him something else because he's at least tried it.

Last night he wouldn't budge.

There were tears and cries and screams and "now I can't help Daddy in the garden" yells. It was awful.

And I was frustrated and I lashed out. Even Einstein cringed.

Thomas ran to his room and then came back out crying and saying "why did you say that to me?"

He not only got what I said but he felt it too.

And I felt like a crumb.

I apologized and he did get to go out and help Daddy in the garden.

Then a few hours later when he was laying in bed still awake while David was sound asleep, I went in to talk to him.

And I apologized and told him that I absolutely did not mean what I said and that I wasn't mad. And I kissed him and he said "It's okay Mama, I forgive you."

I hope no one ever hurts him, but if they do, I hope he always has the ability to so genuinely offer forgiveness.

Because the way he forgives, would make it so that person would never hurt him again.

jenny  – (April 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM)  

hugs! i think we've all had an instance or two where we've cringed by what has been said to those we love. but the best thing about the people we love is just that. they love us no matter what and are willing to forgive because of it. the kids are no different. many times they are the ones that open our eyes and make us really think. i feel for you girl.

ps. tucker is my picky eater. he hates everything with SAUCE. spaghetti included. oh, and we do order pizza without sauce for him. YEP. gah. someday he'll grow out of it. i hope.

jenny  – (April 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
lisa  – (April 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM)  

Awww Mare! I have so been there! This just made me cry! You always do it to me!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP