Please stick your tongue out

So this scary picture seemed to have made a few people freaked out! And so many of you couldn't believe that it didn't hurt.
I thought I would tell you all about the whole "acupuncture experience". But first, let me give you a little history as to what led me to take the acupuncture route. I'm sorry this post is going to be kind of long!

When I was 18 in 1998 I ruptured a disc in my back at L5 S1. Part of the broken disc was laying on my sciatic nerve. It was excruciatingly painful and I needed to have back surgery. I had the surgery and instantly my nerve pain was gone. However I still had mild to sometimes moderate back pain. And then sometimes I would still have bouts of really bad pain but the pain was now on the opposite side of my back. You see, I had been dealing with a bad back for almost 2 years before I finally had surgery. During that time, my left side compensated for my hurting right side. (Yeah, I was all shades of messed up!)

In late 2004 early 2005 I started seeing a chiropractor. I followed a plan with him for a little while but never really got any where so then I went for physical therapy. I still wasn't feeling better after a couple months of that. It was then that I started getting recommendations from other people to go see an acupuncturist. I had talked to a good number of people that did it with success. Hey, I was willing to try anything at this point if it meant being pain free!

So I made an appointment and I went to see an acupuncturist. It was freaky. It was very very freaky! I had been warned that he was going to ask me some pretty personal, ridiculous questions that seem to have nothing to do with anything but some how do really have something to do with something. (got that?) One of the questions was "let me see your tongue". (hence the name of this post!)

During my visits he would do cupping, insert needles into me (sometimes the tips of the needles would be on fire too!) and use hot rocks. Once or twice I even went home with a needle or two left in me. (on purpose!) None of these procedures hurt. NONE OF THEM.

The cupping looks awful, but it feels like a deep tissue massage. The heated glass cups form a vacuum on your skin and the acupuncturist would move them up and down my back while not breaking the suction. It was a little awkward but actually felt good when it was over.

I never felt a single needle being inserted into my skin. They were placed in my legs, my arms, my back, and my head. When he would light the needles, I would feel the warmth. That too didn't hurt and really felt wonderful!

The hot rocks, well they rocked! he he he They felt really good!

The best part about all of this.............I HAVE BEEN PAIN FREE SINCE 2005! And I have never been back to see him. Really, if conventional methods aren't working for you, consider trying acupuncture. One of my biggest fears when I got pregnant was "how is my back going to be able to handle the added weight gain and baby?" I also wondered "will I be able to deliver this baby?" I went through everything wonderfully!

The cost at the time was $40 a visit. It was not covered by health insurance. My co-payment for physical therapy was $40 as well so I didn't think the price was bad. I went twice a week for the first two weeks. Then only once a week for a couple of weeks.

Here is a picture of one of the needles. They are long. Very long. BUT YOU DON'T EVER FEEL THEM. (please don't look at the dust on this table!)
Here are a few pictures of one of the needles that I wore home. Freaky, huh!?! It wasn't until I took it out at home that I found out how long the needles really were. Yeah, I was freaked out too! But again. It didn't hurt. The needles are so fine. (I have major cankles!)
I hope this was a little bit informative :)

Michelle Leigh  – (March 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM)  

Gosh I just don't know if I'd do it still. But, that being said, I haven't really had issues that were debilitating. I think if I did, I would try anything. I have been to the chiro plenty and he's done wonders. That too is freaky, it sounds like he's breaking my neck! But, it works and I'd recommend it to anyone. Thanks for sharing, but why was your skin so red? How long did it last?

Anonymous –   – (March 8, 2008 at 8:01 PM)  

ok, when i first saw that, i thought - whoa - some kinky kind of stuff you got going on over there, and - gee, can i join in. then i started reading and thought to myself, self - you really *don't* want to join in! ;)

Senora Patron
~Bloghoppin on a Saturday nite

kim-d  – (March 8, 2008 at 8:23 PM)  

That was VERY informative and kinda cool! EXTREMELY cool since it worked so good for you. I now have a chiro that I refer to as The Miracle Worker. When it works, it works! And as for your cankles? Girl, yours are positively petite next to mine--BWAHAHAHAHA!

What I need to know now is, what is this Weekend Bloghoppin' thing? I might have to check that out...

Kellan  – (March 8, 2008 at 9:02 PM)  

I have heard a bit about the cupping, but really knew nothing about it - thanks for the info!!

ANd, I hope you are having a good weekend. Thanks for coming by today and for your prayers for my little nephew. Take care and I'll see you soon. Kellan

KG  – (March 8, 2008 at 9:10 PM)  

1. I decided long ago that chiropractors are only good at adjusting your wallet instead of adjusting your back . . .

2. I'm still grossed out even though you claim it didn't hurt

Zoe  – (March 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM)  

acupuncture saved my life when i was pregnant with ava. seriously i was so depressed and sick i was at the end of my rope! it was awesome and it never hurt. btw...why the hell are you in fat camp???? you are a twig!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada  – (March 8, 2008 at 11:35 PM)  

Wow! I have suffered from back pain since a bad car accident at age 17...haven't sought treatment in years. I would definitely try acupuncture...I should look into it

Unknown  – (March 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM)  

Totally informative! I've never read a first hand acupuncture experience, until reading this. It's amazing that it doesn't hurt and actually feels good...definitely something I would consider.

Trixie Twatwaffle  – (March 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM)  

yeah, i still have to say OUCH.

Seriously.

O.U.C.H.

Amy  – (March 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM)  

I am loving your new look!

Robyn  – (March 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM)  

I have always wanted to try it.

Amber  – (March 9, 2008 at 11:52 PM)  

I have thought about doing something like that for my neck and back. It seems now that I am working again...and older (sigh)...I have more pain than usual. However, I probably won't go because it will involve an office lobby and paper work and I hate both of those. Your post was very informative though and I am glad it worked for you. Maybe someday I will break down and have someone poke me after all.

kim-d  – (March 9, 2008 at 11:59 PM)  

Niiiiiice, Mary, very nice!!!! You and Amy JEAN Kelly were obviously very busy sisters today :). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "bedhead" T-Man and The Norminator...HAHAHAHA! The Norminator certainly is a PERKY-looking puppy :)...

You have some serious skills!!!

Happy Days  – (March 10, 2008 at 7:57 AM)  

love the new look!!! very sassy!!!

jessica  – (March 10, 2008 at 2:03 PM)  

wow, that is informative.. thanks - i've had accupressure with sterile water injections during labor which is obviously different and that hurt so badly it would take a lot to get me to do anything more with needles in my back!!

Unknown  – (March 10, 2008 at 11:32 PM)  

I just recently wrote about my "voodoo" doctor who is a chiropractor and acupuncturist. I LOVE her. I couldn't live without her. But she doesn't do cupping. I bet that would be great.

p.s. why the hell are you in fat camp? just making the rest of us look bad! ha ha ha

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP