You Old Hag!

Okay, I officially feel old. As far as the numbers go, I know that I'm not old, although last night I sure felt it.

Usually I never have the time during the week to take Thomas to the park. I have a fairly long commute and by the time I get home, get dinner made, eat, clean up, etc. etc., it's almost 7:00pm which is bed time for one little guy. Well last night, we got home early, and we winged it for dinner. So at 6:00pm after we ate our cereal (a favorite dinner choice of Thomas' lately) we decided to hit the park.

It was packed. There was a baseball game and a men's basketball game going on. One group was having a pizza party at the picnic table. No big deal though, I was sure we'd blend right in.

T immediately makes his way over to the toddler apparatus. However it was full of 15 year old boys AND a rather large snake. Yes, you read that right.......A.BIG.HUGE.SNAKE. It was coiled around the banister of the slide. AT first I just watched it. It wasn't moving. I thought to myself "maybe it's fake and they're just trying to freak people out." We avoided this apparatus/slide thingy for as long as I could get Thomas to but he was relentless.

He starts to climb the steps and I say to the boys, with an attitude, "is that snake real?" "Yes" they all replied. I quickly grabbed Thomas and said "c'mon Thomas we can't play around those things." The snake handler said "it won't bite." "Sure" I'm thinking. "It probably doesn't bite, it probably GULPS toddlers in one swallow!"

They didn't move. Until I made comment after comment after comment to Thomas that "we can't play near big snakes like that."

Finally they left. I felt like a bully. Honestly, they weren't doing anything bad. They were minding their own business. They weren't using bad language. They did try to make room for Thomas to climb through them. The other mother's didn't seem to be bothered by the snake for they were pointing it out to their toddlers. The only woman who who seemed to agree with me was the late 60 something grandma with her granddaughter.

I felt old. Really old. And when I told Einstein my park story this morning, he said "oh cool, did you let Thomas touch it?"

As if I didn't already feel like an old hag!

What would you have done? Seriously, this snake was girthy!

kimmy  – (June 3, 2008 at 11:37 AM)  

Never in a million years would I have let the kids touch that snake! The only snake they are allowed to hold is Diablo (Hallie's son, Connor's, snake!).

Kimmy

Alice  – (June 3, 2008 at 12:17 PM)  

I don't blame you one bit! I would have done the same thing. And thanks for your words today. They helped more than you know. :)

kim-d  – (June 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM)  

Oh my gosh! You wouldn't have seen me for dust...I'd be heading for the hills so fast! T would be on his own.

BWAHAHAHAHA...

just jamie  – (June 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM)  

You so did the right thing. My only advice, next time take a picture for your blog first!

:)

Denise H.  – (June 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM)  

I love snakes so I am the wrong person to ask. And as long as I felt like it was safe then sure. But, you have to go with your gut instinct and if you don't feel good about it, it doesn't matter how old you feel.

By the way, I think that you are younger than me! hehe

KG  – (June 3, 2008 at 5:52 PM)  

I'd let him touch it - after examining it, of course, and making a venomous/non-venomous determination.

But then again, I'm weird.

Mary Alice  – (June 3, 2008 at 8:07 PM)  

Ummm yeah...my husband would have been all about letting the kids experience the snake.....I would have been standing on the roof of the car.

Trixie Twatwaffle  – (June 3, 2008 at 8:22 PM)  

seriously - who brings a snake to a park?

I am so with you on not letting my child touch the snake.

Ick.

And my husband would so be w/ Einstein.

Men....sigh.....

Robyn  – (June 3, 2008 at 10:15 PM)  

I think having the snake at the park wasn't the most appropriate thing to do, I admit snakes don't bother me and if she wanted to PB could touch one, but I would think if kids were playing on the equipment, they should of had enough respect to step away.

Unknown  – (June 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM)  

Umm....I would have hightailed it outta there with you!

Don't feel old!

Happy Days  – (June 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM)  

Gross! I don't know how I missed this!

girlymom  – (June 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM)  

Ew!!! I wouldn't want to play around that either. I think you did the right thing. Gosh if you are an old hag, that means I am right there with ya! :)

Zoe  – (June 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM)  

i wouldn't have been thrilled but there is no way i could stop them from touching it!

Post a Comment

Stained glass flowers from freedigitalscrapbooking.com
Banner pictures from Amy Kelly Photography

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP